Sunday, October 28, 2012

Wednesday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp


That's if Halloween even happens this year. I figured I'd let the girls dress up and play in their costumes since it's supposed to be raining, raining, raining for the next 4 days.  Just hoping the hurricane becomes a tropical storm and isn't as bad as they're saying it's going to be!

My 3 year old is so excited about Halloween.  She has finally hit the age where she remembers and is excited about trick-or-treating, jack-o-lanterns, and the costume.  She has also been talking about Christmas for the past week - oh boy.  Anyways, back to Halloween.  We've known what she and her sister were going to be since August.  Really, I'm not usually this on top of things.  A friend of mine posted an awesome tutorial for dinosaur tails (thanks, Melissa :) ) and I thought they were so cute that I decided to make them.  And then, I couldn't let them go to waste!  I had to use them as a costume and what is a more perfect time for a costume than Halloween?  For some reason, I really thought my daughter would have a problem with being a dinosaur.  Nope. No problem.  As you can see, she turned it into the girliest, pinkest dinosaur that you've ever seen.  She even has sparkle shoes on.  The tutu and the shoes are all her.  Her sister is blue. I was thinking purple originally, but then someone gave me a plain, blue, hooded sweatshirt.  Much prefer the free sweatshirt than having to buy something.  So blue it is.  I think the tail is girly enough. Plus the sparkle spikes and the ruffles on the pockets of her pants.  Good enough.



So, like I said, the tails were from a tutorial.  Here is the website: projectsbyjess.blogspot.com
The spines on the sweatshirts were super easy.  Since the felt was sparkle on one side only, I used some  awesome FabriTack to glue 2 pieces together (sparkles out, obviously).  I left about 1/2" unglued at the bottom.  I then just spread the two pieces apart and sewed a straight seam on either side.  This helped the spines stick straight up.  Also, I decided not to back stitch at the beginning and end of the seams so that I could easily take them out (it is a perfectly good sweatshirt, after all). But she looks so dang cute in it, I don't know if I want to take the spines off now.  Decisions, decisions.

Here's praying that Halloween happens so I don't have a very disappointed daughter.  Missing 2 years in a row is more than a 3-year old can take!  Soon it will become "the myth of Halloween". :)


Up next: all my homemade Christmas gifts.  I know, I know.  I'm with you.  I LOVE Thanksgiving and, honestly, I don't usually think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving is over.  BUT, this year I've decided to make as many gifts as I can. That takes time, folks. So, I will post one project a week.  And hopefully finish them all (I mean the projects, not just the posts!) before Christmas.

Happy Halloween!

Stay safe if you're on the East Coast -  pray for power and no water in the basement!


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see all that you are working on! These Dino costumes are super cute!

    ReplyDelete