Wednesday, December 19, 2012

An Apple for the Teacher


Well, not exactly.  Or at all.  

Disclaimer: There are NO apples in this post.


This week I feel it is appropriate to blog about showing appreciation for our teachers and everything that they do for our children.  Isn't that what our gifts really say?  We appreciate you!!

I really had a hard time deciding what to get for my 3 year old's pre-k teachers.  For starters, there are 3 of them.  I was going to do gift cards, but couldn't decide where the gift cards should be for.  Some swear by DD, some by Starbucks and SOME by McDonald's coffee (not me - bleh).  And then there's Panera or Cosi's or....and on and on the list goes.  I really wanted to try and think of something that I felt good about.  I also wanted my daughter to have a hand in the planning and making of it.

About a week ago, we were getting our hair cut and I was talking to my hairdresser about this dilemma.  She happened to have a craft book on hand so we were looking through the book and discussing options as she cut.  We came across a reusable lunch bag and I knew I had my idea.

When we got home, my daughter and I went through the fabric that I have in my stash.  She chose a fabric that she wanted to use for each of her teachers.  I also found a great heavy black denim that could be used as the inside of the bags.

Now, I would like to say that I was very methodical in my planning and making of this bag, but I wasn't.  I did it on the fly and made them a size that I thought "looked about right."  Thank goodness it really is "about right." :)  

As you can see, I appliqued each teacher's last name initial on the front of the bag in the black denim.  I used a nice, big, black button with a ribbon for a simple closure and folded the bag to look like a lunch bag.



 The bag has a flat bottom and the denim makes it nice and sturdy so it can stand on its own.



Now comes the part where my daughter REALLY took part.  She made the goodies for the inside (and I made sure she didn't wipe her nose or lick her fingers while making these, I promise!).

She put a Hershey's Kiss in the middle of each pretzel.  The white and red ones are the candy cane Hershey Kisses (white chocolate and mint).  Then I put the tray of pretzels with Kisses in a 400 degree oven for 2 minutes.  When they came out my daughter pressed an M&M into the middle.  Yummy!


When they were all cooled down, they went into a plastic bag and into the lunch bag.


Three teachers gifts down - about 100 more to go (over the years, that is)!!

PS If this gift goes over well, I think I might just recycle the idea and give every teacher each year a lunch bag.  Why not?

PPS Like this bag?  Why not get one for yourself or someone you love and appreciate!  These are currently available in my Etsy shop, LittlePunkin'Pie.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/118517779/reusable-fabric-lunch-bag-with-initial

No comments:

Post a Comment