Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Gifts!


I know you can't tell, but I've been busy making things.  Just this time it's not things for my shop.  There have been birthdays, but the main thing I've been working on is a baby shower gift.  My roommate from college is due in May  with her first, so I've been working on a gift basket for her.

I knew exactly what I wanted to make first, too.  A blanket.  So original - I know.

I have been looking for an excuse to re-create a quilt that was given to my youngest when she was born.  I LOVE this quilt.  It is so soft and comfy and just the right size.  It was given to us by my Aunt Pam and Uncle Bill and it immediately kicked the other blankets out of the running for favorite (including one that I had made).  I took some pictures for you, but it doesn't do it justice.  Besides, at this point, it's so well-loved that it's faded and wrinkled.  I would have ironed it just for picture taking, but my daughter was about to go down for a nap and needed it.  She was pretty worried I was taking it away when I set this picture up.


Anyways, I copied it.  Except in the colors that my friend wanted.  At least, I hope it's what she wanted.  Kind of hard to match exactly from a few hundred miles away.


I love making quilts because it's always a bit of a surprise how it will turn out.  You can match the colors and patterns, but you never really know the result until you SEE it.  I really like how this one came together.  I used minky on the back (just like ours), but it's got a great paisley pattern instead of the raised dots.


Oh how I love minky!

I finished the quilt by placing ties in the center of all of the larger squares and in the middle of 2 smaller squares per 4 square block.

I wanted to give my friend something of a "set", so I also added a hooded towel (with the same paisley print minky on the inside) and a set of burp cloths.





I hope she likes it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment